Nashville Purchasing Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt, Full-time
Reports to: VP of Construction
Direct Reports: Production and Purchasing Coordinator
Last Update: 10/10/2018
To establish strong trade relationships while purchasing the products and services the division needs at the best price and quality, of appropriate quantity, and on-time so that the division can achieve its construction, sales, quality and profitability objectives.
Essential Functions: Core duties or tasks fundamental and not marginal to the performance of the job.
- Develop relationships with Trade Partners and Builder to create horizontal accountability and improve costs through removing waste and inefficiencies.
- Recruit, select, and evaluate Trade Partners.
- Manage Trade Partner Contract to include TPBA, W9, Scope of work, Certificate of Insurance, Safety Plan, Trade Partner information and Trade Partner bid list
- Oversee or coordinate Trade Partner set up, maintain and perform evaluation
- Maintain Standard Trades database
- Collaborate with national Purchasing Manager to stay on top of finishes, option trends and option selections
- Oversee Partners in Excellence program with Trades with regular meetings to improve efficiency and look for cost savings opportunities
- Monitor option performance and pricing
- Maintain inventory of product samples and coordinate sales office selection centers with VP of Sales
- Continually monitor Trades’ insurance for expiration and renewals
- Trade Partner price maintenance
- Negotiate lower pricing or mitigate requests for increases
- Monitor price expiration
- Collect, negotiate, analyze Trade Partner bids and submit to Smith Douglas Support Center
- Continuously seek opportunities to purchase materials and services in a more competitive manner
- Identify cost saving ideas, value engineering opportunities, and other alternatives.
- Track hard cost trends to identify opportunities.
- Monitor monthly production delays due to shortage of trade partners
- Monitor monthly:
- the rise and fall of hard costs on plans in the home building industry;
- cost “avoidance” by incident (increase requested by trade partner vs. increase accepted);
- cost “reduction” by Trade Partner
- Monitor semi-annually builder satisfaction with Trade Partners
- Monitor Trade Partner performance in quality, contract, safety compliance and timeliness
- Coordinate Product Development process (estimating and architecture) as it relates to the division’s needs
- Review monthly release notes and communicate changes to sales and production
- Coordinate municipal requirements
- Review monthly cost books for active communities
- Set up cost books for new communities
- Coordinate safety program and policies with the Trade Partners
- Review cost books and estimates for new communities and plans
- Initiate site walks and gather development and site costs for new and ongoing communities
- Coordinate and execute R-Team Meetings with appropriate Construction Managers in Communities
- Oversee special projects as assigned by DP or VP of Construction
- Serve as back up for VP of Construction in assisting Construction Managers with field issues
- Review design of engineered wood products (floor joists and roof trusses)
- Collaborate with VP of Construction on construction schedules
Minimum Job Requirements:
Education: College degree in related field or commensurate experience
Experience: Knowledge of home construction techniques, experience in field operations and negotiating.
Computer Skills: Microsoft Office, Internet, SMART
- Basic Math Skills
- Works Alone
- Works w/others
- Verbal contact w/others
- Work with computer and office equipment
- Ability to foster Teamwork
- Good communication skills
- Customer Orientation
- Ability to develop, motivate and influence others
- Ability to think strategically
This job description is a summary of the duties associated with the named position. While every effort has been made to make this description as complete as possible, this description is not intended to be a complete and inclusive list of all duties and responsibilities related to any one position. Smith Douglas reserves the right to modify what duties are required for this position and what is summarized in this job description as business necessity and efficiency deem appropriate. Smith Douglass is an “at-will” employer, meaning that an associate’s employment has no specified term and that the employment relationship may be terminated any time at the will of either party on notice to the other.
Smith Douglas is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a certified Drug Free Workplace.