Wednesday April 9, 2014
Warmer weather is here, along with the opportunity to make your home springtime fresh! Smith Douglas is offering some Spring Cleaning tips for often overlooked areas of your home.
- To clean dusty ceiling blade fans, take an old pillowcase and slip it around the blades. Rub the case back and forth to collect all the grime, then toss it in the laundry!
- Pick a cloudy day to wash your windows. If it’s too sunny, the cleaner will dry too fast and leave streaks.
- Your walls, cabinets, and baseboards probably need a good cleaning. Use a sponge (or sponge mop) and dishwashing soap to scrub them clean, then dry with a clean cloth.
- Tired of scraping and scrubbing the mess in your microwave? Simply heat a bowl of vinegar and water for about 10 minutes, and then wipe down the insides.
- Your washing machine works hard every week to keep your clothes clean. Doesn’t it deserve a little TLC, too? Run your washer (without clothing or items inside) with a cycle of bleach, and then with a cycle of vinegar, for a sparkling-clean machine!
- To clean dusty lampshades, run a lint roller over the shades. Voila – the dust is gone!
- You change your sheets, but have you ever cleaned your mattress? Mix baking soda with lavender oil and spread it over your mattress. Wait an hour and vacuum – your mattress will be like new, and bedtime will smell heavenly!
- Dust your refrigerator! If the condenser coils (usually located in the back and/or behind the toe grille) and collects too much dust, your fridge may overheat. Clean the coil with a long-handled bottle brush and your vacuum cleaner attachment.
- No more scrubbing those blackened stove burners! Simply remove the burner covers, place them in large zip-lock bags, and add enough diluted ammonia to immerse the burner cover. Be sure to wear gloves to protect your hands. Set the bags outside overnight (to keep the smell outdoors) and wake up to clean burners!
- To clean those stubborn brown stains from your coffee cups, wet the cup, sprinkle on some baking soda, and mix to form a paste. Continue to rub the paste to release the stains, then rinse and wash as usual!
Smith Douglas is an established Atlanta home builder, backed by over 40 years of experience, offering new homes for sale across the metro Atlanta area. We are committed to building quality, affordable homes in Atlanta with fabulous designs and the features homebuyers want the most. Smith Douglas builds new homes in Cherokee County, Forsyth County, Gwinnett County and Paulding County. For more information and to view a full list of Smith Douglas communities, visit our website at SmithDouglas.com.